Tag archives for: swallowing hazard,

A lithium button battery is balanced on a person's thumb with an isolated background

Beware the button

Categories: Children's Health  /  Emergency care  /  News

They’re in all sorts of electronic gadgets and toys. The problem starts when your toddler grabs hold of one. Some call them button batteries because of their resemblance to buttons. But they’re also health hazards if a young child swallows them. The large 3-volt lithium batteries are especially dangerous because they react with saliva to generate a chemical reaction that can cause serious damage to tissues and even death. “Because it is a battery, the circuit can be completed,” Dr. Tim McEvoy, an emergency medicine physician at University Health System, said in an interview on KSAT’s SA Live program. “ …Read More >

Tags: , ,

Featured Video

Upcoming Events

  • Thu
    23
    Aug
    2018
    10 a.m. to 11 a.m.Robert B. Green Campus, 903 W. Martin St.
  • Fri
    24
    Aug
    2018
    11 a.m. to noonTexas Diabetes Institute, 701 S. Zarzamora St.
  • Mon
    10
    Sep
    2018
    4 p.m. to 5 p.m.University Hospital, 4502 Medical Drive
  • Mon
    01
    Oct
    2018
    4 p.m. to 5 p.m.University Hospital, 4502 Medical Drive
  • Mon
    05
    Nov
    2018
    4 p.m. to 5 p.m.University Hospital, 4502 Medical Drive
  • Mon
    03
    Dec
    2018
    4 p.m. to 5 p.m.University Hospital, 4502 Medical Drive
Download the University Health System App